Science, research methods and scientific papers, with focus on Computer Science
The course aims to give students an introduction to the concepts and issues of science theory, as well as a basic knowledge of research methods in science and technology, especially computer science. Students become acquainted with the scientific language by reading and summarising a number of scientific papers. Information retrieval and a source- critical attitude are practiced when writing the scientific article that is written and presented during the course. The students develop their analytical skills and critical thinking as they review and oppose others’ articles.
About the course
- Science theory. What is science and what is not? The scientific method for creating knowledge.
- Research methodology in science and technology. Research methodology for computer science.
- Scientific writing. Reading and summarising scientific papers. Searching scientific papers. Writing and presentation of a scientific paper.
Overview of the video lectures (with questions)
- Theory of Science (7 videos)
- Sociology of Science (1 video)
- Overview (1 video)
- Examples (5 videos)
- Deductive Methods and Proofs (8 videos)
- Measurement-based Research Methods in Computer Engineering (3 videos)
- Research Methods for Software Engineering (1 video)
- Research methods for Interactive Systems (3 videos)
- Paper Writing and Publication (4 videos)
- References, Search, Databases, Use of library (2 videos)
- Paper Reviewing (1 video)
- How to Present a Paper (1 video)
- Mandatory assignments
- know and use central concepts and issues in science theory
- know the criteria for pseudoscience
- be familiar with reading, summarising and reviewing scientific papers
- know some important research methods in computer science
- write a scientific paper (based on own work or information found in scientific papers or similar), relate the paper to science theory and research methods, and present the paper
- oppose others’ presentations
- practice a critical approach to knowledge, science and research
For Course Syllabus use course code DVA470 in the.