Large-Scale Software Testing
The purpose is to equip software engineers with an understanding of challenges of “scale” when testing — in terms of the size and complexity of both the software system and the organisation within which the testing activities occur — and experience of specific testing techniques and tools that address them.
About the course
The course is given by.
- Testing large-scale software systems
- Testing within large-scale organizations
Module 1 considers scale in terms of the size and complexity of the software system under test, the challenges these characteristics present to testing, and testing techniques that address these challenges. Module 2 considers scale in terms of the size and complexity of the development and testing organisation itself – for example, within a large software project, or when testing teams are shared across multiple projects.
- Explain the challenges of large-scale software testing using both a technical and organisational perspective.
- Describe approaches that address these challenges.
- Apply a technique for testing large-scale software systems and interpret the results.
- Identify and use suitable tools to facilitate these testing techniques.
- Reflect on the relevant important measures of “scale” that are relevant to their own testing work?
- Critically analyze research from academia and industry on large-scale testing.
Related industrial challenges addressed in the course
- Maintain software quality as the scale and complexity of the software being tested increases
- Enable effective and efficient testing as processes grows in complexity and extend between organisations
Emil Alégroth, Blekinge Institute of Technology