Course syllabus - Data Structures, Algorithms and Program Development 7.5 credits
Datastrukturer, algoritmer och programkonstruktion
|Valid from:||Autumn semester13|
|Level of education:||First cycle|
|Subject:||Informatics/Computer and Systems Scie...|
|Main Field(s) of Study:||Computer Science,|
|In-Depth Level:||G1F (First cycle, has less than 60 credits in first-cycle course/s as entry requirements),|
This course will give a deeper skill in the problem solving area of computer science, by working with abstract data types.
After fulfilling the course, the student should:
- be able to use abstract data types in programming assignments
- be able to define and implement abstract data types when given informal problem statements
- be able to implement algorithms given descriptions as pseudocode
- be sufficiently familiar with some common algorithms for sorting and searching to be able to implement a thus far unkown variant of the algorithm based on an informal description of the change
- be familiar with the concept of time complexity, and be able to compute the time complexity on some simple code
- be sufficiently familiar with some specific abstract data types in order to be able to add new operations on theses. Some examples of such abstract data types are dynamic lists, direct access lists various seach data structures, graphs
- common algorithms for sorting and searching
Abstract data types, dynamic data structures, search- and sorting agorithms. Time complexity for algorithms.
Tutoring concerning the programming assignments will be given in computer rooms.
Lectures that may but must not include exercises.
Specific entry requirements
Exercise, laboratory work (LAB1), 4.5 credits, marks Pass (G)
Examination (TEN1), 3 credits, marks 3, 4 or 5
A student who has a certificate from MDH regarding a disability has the opportunity to submit a request for supportive measures during written examinations or other forms of examination, in accordance with the Rules and Regulations for Examinations at First-cycle and Second-cycle Level at Mälardalen University (2016/0601). It is the examiner who takes decisions on any supportive measures, based on what kind of certificate is issued, and in that case which measures are to be applied.
Suspicions of attempting to deceive in examinations (cheating) are reported to the Vice-Chancellor, in accordance with the Higher Education Ordinance, and are examined by the University’s Disciplinary Board. If the Disciplinary Board considers the student to be guilty of a disciplinary offence, the Board will take a decision on disciplinary action, which will be a warning or suspension.
No environmental aspects.
Course literature is preliminary until 3 weeks before the course starts. Literature may be valid over several terms.
Valid from: Autumn semester13
Decision date: 2013-11-08
Last update: 2013-11-11
Valid from: Spring semester14
Decision date: 2014-03-07
Last update: 2014-03-17
Ada från början : med Ada 95 standard
3., [rev.] uppl. : Lund : Studentlitteratur , 1995 -
ISBN: 91-44-25233-1 ; LIBRIS-ID: 7277391
, v, , 616 s.
Data structures and algorithms : an object-oriented approach using Ada 95
New York : Springer , cop. 1997 -
ISBN: 0-387-94834-1 LIBRIS-ID: 4878174
Datatyper och algoritmer
2., [rev.] uppl. : Lund : Studentlitteratur , 2000 -
ISBN: 91-44-01364-7 ; 513:00 LIBRIS-ID: 8352915
x, 387 s.
Algorithms and data structures : design, correctness, analysis
2. ed. : Harlow : Addison-Wesley , cop. 1998 -
ISBN: 0-201-40374-9 (hft.) ; LIBRIS-ID: 4703883
xi, 380 s.
Valid from: Autumn semester14
Decision date: 2014-10-15
Last update: 2014-10-15
Valid from: Spring semester15
Decision date: 2015-03-09
Last update: 2015-03-09
Valid from: Autumn semester16
Decision date: 2016-10-21
Last update: 2017-03-07
Valid from: Spring semester17
Decision date: 2017-03-01
Last update: 2017-03-06