Studying with disabilities

A disability should not be an obstacle when studying at Mälardalen University. That is why we offer a range of supporting measures so that you can study on equal terms as other students.


Special pedagogical support

We offer pedagogical support if you have a permanent disability, such as dyslexia, ADHD or a long term medical condition that affect your studies. The support is designed to meet your individual needs and can consist of help with taking notes, extended examination time, a mentor or technical aids. In order to receive this support you have to fill out an application online or contact a coordinator.

How to apply for support

You start by making a digital application online at When applying, please upload a valid certificate from a physician, psychologist or speech therapist confirming your disability. You will then be invited to a meeting with a coordinator to discuss your individual need of support. The coordinator will write a certificate with recommended supporting measures that you can show to your teacher/examiner who will decide on which supporting measures that apply.

Certificate of pedagogical support

The certificate given to you by the coordinator is temporal and the recommended supporting measures are often limited to a specific programme or course. Please contact the coordinator in order to renew the certificate.

Starting a new course

At the beginning of a new course, please introduce yourself to the teacher, explain your situation and show him/her the certificate you received from the coordinator. Do not hesitate to ask for help when you need it. If you have any questions you are always welcome to contact the coordinator.

Who is eligible?

In order to receive pedagogical support you must be able to present a certificate confirming your disability. The certificate must be issued by a specialist within the disability in question. By disability we mean a permanent impairment such as reading and/or writing difficulties, dyslexia, as well as physical, psychological or neurological disabilities. You also have to make a digital application in NAIS and get the application approved by the coordinator.