Mikael Broman new Chair of the Student Union
Sep 06, 2012 | Student
Mikael Broman has been the new Chair of the Student Union since 1 July 2012. During the year he hopes to be able to contribute towards a more accessible University with a more active student life and a student union that the students feel they get support from.
To improve the students’ situation Mikael Broman would like the Student Union to work with three important areas: representing the students at the University’s preparatory and decision-making organs, working towards a functioning housing guarantee, and there being clearer transparency in the courses and study programmes.
On 3 September the autumn semester got going and new students are at the University. Mikael Broman, a former commissioned officer, is ready to take up his duties as new Chair of the Student Union.
What does being the Chair mean to you?
- To be able to lead the work the Student Union is doing in the right direction, but also to create participation and commitment among the members of the Student Union.
What do you hope to be able to contribute during the year?
- I hope to be able to contribute with a more accessible University with a more active student life and a student union that the students feel that they get support from.
Why should a student get involved in the Student Union?
- Primarily to be able to improve and influence the situation for the students, but also to create added value and community spirit in student life. Getting involved also means that there is an opportunity to develop and improve courses and study programmes as well as accessibility for the students at the University.
What thoughts do you have about how the Student Union can work to improve the students’ situation?
- Here there are three different areas I see as being important:
- To continually represent, and act on behalf of the students in the University’s preparatory and decision-making organs.
- To work towards creating a functioning housing guarantee for all students at MDH. During the autumn the Student Union will start up a joint project with the help of the University and both the municipalities to be able to offer a complete housing guarantee.
- That there will be clearer transparency in the courses and study programmes at the University through a more accessible system of course evaluations, both for those who are already studying here and for future students.
How should the Student Union be working to both keep and recruit new members?
- The Student Union will focus on more student-oriented cooperation, where we will be seen in places where the students move. At the same time we will be working towards having clear communication with the students. It’s important that membership will create added value at the same time as the Student Union will pursue the issues that concern the students.