Sustainable cities and communities
Fredrik Wallin, Researcher in Energy Engineering at Mälardalen University about his research.
Make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
Cities are hubs for ideas, commerce, culture, science, productivity, social development and much more. At their best, cities have enabled people to advance socially and economically.
However, many challenges exist to maintaining cities in a way that continues to create jobs and prosperity while not straining land and resources. Common urban challenges include congestion, lack of funds to provide basic services, a shortage of adequate housing and declining infrastructure.
The challenges cities face can be overcome in ways that allow them to continue to thrive and grow, while improving resource use and reducing pollution and poverty. The future we want includes cities of opportunities for all, with access to basic services, energy, housing, transportation and more.
Ongoing research projects
- AI assisted CO2 capture in biomass CHP plants
- AI for Sustainable Food Production from Farm to Fork
- Aqua2Farm - Boosting sustainable urban farming by near infrared spectroscopy with aquaphotomics
- BRAINSAFEDRIVE: A Technology to detect Mental States During Drive for improving the Safety of the road
- DIGICOGS: DIGital Twins for Industrial COGnitive Systems through Industry 4.0 and Artificial Intelligence
- DISTRHEAT - Digital Intelligent and Scalable Control for Renewables in Heating Networks
- Digitized management – what can we learn from England and Sweden? (DIGMA)
- Future-proof Cities
- INTERCONNECT: Integrated Time Sensitive Networking and Legacy Communications in Predictable Vehicle-platforms
- LIF - Leadership under change
- MobiFog: mobility management in Fog-assisted IoT networks
- Monitoring devices for overall FITness of DRIVErs
- Multiscale Methods for simulations of mechanical metamaterials
- PANORAMA - Boosting Design Efficiency for Heterogeneous³ Systems
- SLAM: Self-supervised learning for predictive maintenance
- SMART – Smart control of district heating networks integrating next generation energy-efficient buildings
- Safe and Secure Adaptive Collaborative Systems
- Serendipity - Secure and dependable platforms for autonomy