Mälardalen university logotype print
Mälardalens Högskola Logga
Mälardalens Högskola Logga


Good to know before you go

Here you find useful information before you go abroad.

In good time before your departure to the overseas university you should create a written agreement on what courses you are to read during your exchange studies. This written agreement is called a Learning Agreement. Get in touch with the international coordinator at your School to get more information about your Learning Agreement and what is expected of you.



You read the number of credits equivalent to full-time studies in the academic system that the recipient university has during your period abroad. In connection with writing your Learning Agreement you decide with your international coordinator what courses you are to read and how many credits at the recipient university you are to read.


CSN (the Swedish Board of Student Finance)

CSN grants student funding for studies abroad at approved universities and university colleges on condition that your home university certifies that the studies abroad will transfer the credits on your return. CSN also grants loans up to a certain amount for course fees at universities abroad. The funding for these studies is based on the level of costs in the country you go to. You can see on CSN’s website how much money you can get.



It is your responsibility to check up different insurances and decide which one suits you best. This applies regardless of whether you travel within or outside the EU. You may need to supplement this with an insurance of your own.

MDH offers a free group insurance for all students who study abroad for one or two semesters. This is called “Student UT” and is drawn up through Kammarkollegiet (the Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency). Before you leave you must inform the central international coordinator of the exact dates of your semester in good time, so that your insurance certificate can be issued. In certain cases the university you are going to may require you to purchase an insurance with them, regardless of whether you have a Swedish insurance that is valid abroad. This mainly concerns the USA and Australia.

If you are travelling within the EU or the EES, you should order the EU card from Försäkringskassan. This gives you the right to necessary medical care in the country in which you are studying, on the same terms as the country’s inhabitants.


Passports, visas and residence permits

Visa regulations can be changed and it is your responsibility to check with the embassy or consulate what regulations and what documents you need to be able to apply for a visa. Check that your passport is valid during your entire stay abroad.


Residence permits in EU countries

For studies of more than three months in an EU country you require a residence permit. You apply for this at the local police authority as soon as possible after your arrival. What is required to apply for a residence permit varies from country to country, but you usually need a valid passport and a certificate of Swedish medical insurance affiliation, E128. You also be able to prove that you are registered at a valid education institution and that you can provide for yourself during your stay in the country.

You can obtain information about what applies to each country through the appropriate embassy.


Countries outside the EU

For studies in other countries outside the EU you must count on a visa being required for the entire period of study, and that this must be in order before your departure. You can apply once you have received from your host university an admission decision, or any other forms necessary for applying for a visa.

Sometimes a vaccination certificate or a doctor’s certificate is required, and also a certificate that you can provide for yourself during your stay in the country. Check with the appropriate embassy for what is applicable.


More information

For more information, please contact your international coordinator:

School of Business, Society and Engineering, EST est-international@mdh.se

School of Health, Care and Social Welfare, HVV hvv-international@mdh.se

School of Innovation, Design and Engineering, IDT idt-international@mdh.se

School of Education, Culture and Communication, UKK ukk-international@mdh.se

To top