Simulation and optimisation for future industrial applications (SOFIA)
SPECTRA – Spectral measurements for prediction of biomass properties
The overall objective of the project is to evaluate the potential to use NIR measurements as soft sensors for the characterization of biomass for diagnostics and control of industrial processes including biomass/wood and waste material.
The Knowledge Foundation
Mälarenergi AB, Eskilstuna Strägnäs Energi och Miljö AB, BillerudKorsnäs AB, Bestwood AB
Description of the project
Specific objectives are to:
- Perform NIR-measurements of different biomass and waste materials and correlate spectra to specific properties, such as moisture, ash content, lignin content, cellulose, heating value, bleachability, reactivity etc.
- Achieve reasonable predictions of the above properties components for materials of a heterogeneous particle size and assess the ability to quantitatively discriminate between different biomass and waste stocks in the same sample batch.
- Ultimately transfer the calibrations for biomass and waste to online biomass handling systems and use the soft sensor signals as input to power plant control and evaluate the possibility to use for control (what accuracy can be met).
- Implement on-line at Mälarenergi and Eskilstuna Strängnäs Energi och Miljö powerplants, and BillerudKorsnäs pulp and paper plant. Give input for control to operators.
- Evaluate the potential of high technology readiness level permanent implementation of the on-line installation at the Mälarenergi and Eskilstuna Strängnäs Energi och Miljö powerplants. The evaluation of the test results will be carried out together with the powerplant staff.