User Experience Design and Usability
Please note that applications are closed for this course for the duration of autumn semester 2020.
The course aims to provide students an opportunity to develop skill in experience design and design thinking. The Usability and User Experience course focuses on the design process, techniques and methods to design and produce digital artifacts with desirable experiential qualities.
About this course
- Usability and experiential qualities. The user experience of a digital artifact today consists of many experiential qualities. This module discusses the more complex situation faced by experience design today with many and sometimes conflicting experiential quality goals. The module provides techniques and methods for the initial part of the design process.
- This module covers techniques for realising a design. The module will also discuss different techniques and methods to validate a design and its experiential qualities.
- Basis of theory of science. Experience design is based on an interpretive epistemology and phenomenology. A user interface for a digital artifact can be designed for different purposes, such as business or pleasure. This affects the course of philosophical concepts of pragmatism, utilitarianism, and hedonism.
The student should after course completion be able to:
- demonstrate the ability to apply the design process for designing interactive digital artifacts focusing on user experience and experiential qualities,
- demonstrate the ability to conduct user tests to evaluate a design,
- demonstrate how the design work is based on scientific contributions in the field,
- design and develop interactive prototypes and digital artifacts focusing on user experience and experiential qualities,
- demonstrate the ability to make assessments with consideration to sustainable development, norm criticism, and scientific, social, and ethical aspects of interaction design, and
- describe basic philosophical concepts and scientific philosophy in experience design.
Related industrial challenges addressed in the course
- Develop and attend to the experiential values throughout the development process.
- Handling of engineering epistemology with basic science versus the practice based design epistemology.
- Apply design thinking within the organisation to develop products and services.
- 120 credits of which 60 credits in Computer Science and/or Informatics.
- In addition, English course A/English course 6 is required.
You can also apply for the course and get your eligibility evaluated based on knowledge acquired in other ways, such as work experience, other studies etc.
Course title in Swedish
Upplevelsedesign och användbarhet
After submitting your electronic application, the next step is to submit documentation to demonstrate your eligibility for the course you have applied for. In order to document your eligibility, you must provide your high school diploma and university transcript and proof of your English language proficiency.
To meet the entry requirements for this course you need to have previous academic qualifications (university studies). You will find the specific entry requirements above.
No academic qualifications?
If you do not have the formal academic qualifications needed for a specific course, you can apply for the course and get your eligibility evaluated based on knowledge acquired in other ways, such as work experience, other studies etc. This is also known as a validation of prior learning.
Recognition of prior learning means the mapping out and assessment of an individual's competence and qualifications, regardless how, where or when they were acquired – in the formal education system or in some other way in Sweden or abroad, just recently or a long time ago.
If you think your knowledge and competences will qualify you for this course, you will need to upload th following with your application:
- CV with description of your educational and professional background. Your CV must describe your knowledge and competences in relation to the entry requirements.
- If you refer to work experience, you need to upload an Employers certificate.
If we need more information, we will contact you.
The courses are part of the Prompt project where MDH offers courses at master's level. The courses are given online without physical meetings and are flexible in time and space so that they can be combined with professional life.For companies that want to collaborate on competence development